Friday 1 February 2013

Road-Trip Commences...

A shot from my last roadtrip in 2012 July in Maharashtra
It has been a long time that I rode long distance, since I have come down to Mumbai for work. Now things will change for good. I have resigned and about to embark on a journey that will take me to places, which I have never seen before nor heard before. This will be a test of my riding skills as well as communication skills as I'll be riding down south, where the language barrier will exist. 

Moreover, part of my ride will cover the insurgent affected states of Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Chhatisgarh, Jharkhand, West-Bengal and Bihar. The path would be treacherous and packed with dangers but I suppose, without an element of risk no adventure is truly an experience to share.

I'll start my ride tomorrow from Mumbai to Goa, where I'll be doing nearly 700km via NH17. The ghats of Sahyadri shall brush my riding efficiency effectively. This would be my first time in Goa and I really do not know what to expect. So my fingers are crossed.

The most important thing in this trip would be the human element. By that I mean, everyone with whom I would meet on the way. Some will be old friends and many would be friends, whom I never met in my life till now. It would be indeed something to explore, where I intend to stay with the locals and understand the area with their perspective. This will help me get to know the place better like a native but not like a tourist.

Another thing I am experimenting in this road trip would be with my accommodation  I intend to stay with the strangers and locals throughout my journey. It's not for the economic reason but to travel in a totally different manner. Staying in the hotels would be easy but putting up with absolute strangers will be a very different kind of experience all together.

I'll also be seeking companionship on the way, so I get to see the off beat places and taste the local delicacies. This practice will also help my hosts to overcome their inhibitions against the riders, who are seen as hooligans across the Indian sub-continent.

Now I'll give you a brief introspect on my entire road-trip.



The Rider:
Raghu Raj Murmu 
Age: 29
Gender: Male

Profession: Content Writer
Adventurous, humorous, friendly, helpful, sober, witty, talkative, quite...and more



The Ride

Royal Enfield Bullet 350cc STD (1968)
It has done 10,000km in 64 days with a rider and pillion across 11 states & 2 union territories in 64 days, 2011 July-September.
3000km from Jamhedpur to New Delhi and back to Jamshedpur for Rider Mania 2012 January-February.
2000km from Jamshedpur to Mumbai in July 2012.


The Route

It's all flexible so if someone invites me over to stay at their place for sometime, I may change my route.
In a nut-shell the highway will lead me through the West coast area into Gokarna, Udupi, Mangalore, Cochin, Maysore, Bangalore, Coorg, Hospet, Hyderbad and then I'll have to decide. Hence, if someone has any suggestions, then it would be great. But the final destination is Naxalbari in West-Bengal.

2nd February 2013: Mumbai to Goa (700km)

The Sponsors
The entire trip is self-sponsored and will be completed with the help of my friends as well as family. However, if any corporate house intends to back me up, I don't mind promoting their products on the way.

5 comments:

  1. Have a great time...and explore the best of all corners :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Enjoy a ride of passion, explore and discover the hidden gems in your path. Come up with some great introspection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Explore your passion... Ride through the paths and discover some real gems of our nation! Offer us your introspection through the journey... Waiting to hear from you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Raghu,
    Have a great time and enjoy your journey. All the best.

    ReplyDelete